Sunday, July 20, 2008

Craziness!

The kids are asleep, but it took lots of work to get them to fall asleep. The bunk next me was having some problems with one of their girls so they called me into help (she sometimes listens to me). Didn't work, she punched her counselor so we had to put her in a hold where she ended up hitting me pretty hard and biting another counselor...this girl is VIOLENT...she also punched me this morning at breakfast because I was somehow in the way. Not that big of a deal though. Today my group went to cooking and we made cheesecake and it was delicious. Cheesecake has the capabilities of turning any bad day to good. There's less than a week left in this session and it makes all the campers really bad-with that said, there might not be a lot of posting going on. Tomorrow I get to visit the horses and attend chess lessons with the kids- I am excited! It's been pretty hot here lately but it finally rained tonight so hopefully it brings some coolness. I have also started to take video clips of the kids because I am sure it's hard to believe some of the stories I tell so the videos should help. I also wanted to share my schedule from today just to show what a day is really like here...it changes slightly everyday but the structure is the same. Structure is a key term here and I am ready for a break from it :)

8:00 kids wake up
8:30 breakfast
9:15 clean up bunks
10:00 freeplay
11:15 reading or discovery center
12:15 bikes
1:15 lunch
2:00 cooking
3:00 ceramics
4:00 pool swim
5:00 rest hour
6:00 dinner
6:45 evening activity
7:45 showers
8:30 transition to bedtime

Yes, every minute of the day is scheduled, Monday- Sunday nonstop. Just thought this would help show a little better what I do all day. I am pretty upset because I somehow missed my night off 2 days ago and I can't get it back. We only get 2 nights off for the 3 weeks and I missed out on one. Next session I will pay more attention!

I am getting tired, just wanted to say hi and check in. Hope everyone has an enjoyable monday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...y'all stay busy! Hope you have a great week in NY! Everyone here says they miss you and want you to come home!! It's not the same without you! Much love!

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda! You are so busy! I know you are looking forward to next weekend! You deserve a break!
We miss you so much!

Love ya!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oops! That was from me.Don't know how to leave my name on it.
Sorry!

Love your mom!

Anonymous said...

Just remember that the next few weeks will pass quickly. Especially as busy as you are. We get to see Kala Friday. Can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are having a great time in New York. Sounds like you are having a great experience.

Anonymous said...

you are such a dork fred. so you need to come home...you missed alot!!. i moved into ANOTHER apartment today. yea, i know what you're thinking.hmm... well also i bought a sweet lil puppy the other day. his name is harley. adorable! be safe, have fun! love, lizz

Lacy said...

Girl I didn't even know you were out of town--lol! Shows how informed I am! When Jess told me,I WAS surprised you were in NY, but I wasn't surprised at all that you were working with special needs children. You just have that special spirit! I miss it :) Hope you're doing well!