Tuesday, July 8, 2008

New Session!

We got a batch of new campers yesterday and they are something else. They are the cutest little girls I have ever met. They all have really tan skin, big brown and eyes, and all have beautiful long hair. I will share some stories about the day and half I have been with the girls.

I was assigned to a girl during free play today who was autism and is nonverbal. She knows a lot of signs, and I am slowly trying to learn ASAP. Well we were at the playground, which is in the close to the pool, and she apparently wanted to swim. She took her shoes and socks off which I thought was okay but next came the shorts, pull-up, and shirt. There she was butt naked in the middle of everyone and refusing to move. I pretty muched freaked. She gets VERY, VERY violent when she's angry. She scratched me during this and I had blood coming from it. She is also a spitter and a biter. One of my supervisors ran and got a towel and we literally dragged her away. She then ran into the bath house and threw a massive tantrum. We got our lady who works with these types of kids to help, but she was very aggressive. I mostly observed during this because only supervisors are really allowed to hold down kids. After that incident she was fine and happy for the most part. I got to swim with her later in the day and she absolutely loved it. She may be a little angry at times, but she is a genuinely sweet and kind girl who loves to give hugs!
Another girl who is hilarious refused to move for 30 minutes during one of our hikes in the woods. She has downs syndrone and I have learned that kids with that love to say no and refuse to hear no. Because of that, we have a pretty interesting time with her. Luckily she keeps us lacking.
One sweet little girl was holding my hand to dinner and she called me mom. I told her I wasn't her mom and she explained that I was like her mom since she's going to be away from her for 3 weeks. She said I would be a fun and nice mom since I was willing to sing Hannah Montana with her. A couple of the girls keep telling me how they love having me as a counselor. It's these moments that get me through my day.

Oh, I went to NYC again last weekend, I will talk about it later...hopefully tomorrow. I love Manhattan and will one day live there, even if it's just for a few months...preferably around Central Park of SoHo.

Thanks for my mail and earrings Jessica, I LOVED it!

I miss everyone :) Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! I'm glad you got your mail...I was kinda afraid that it didn't make it up there, but then I remembered that the 4th was the weekend and the mail didn't run! Anyways I so could not do what you are doing...I don't know how you do it! God is going to bless you for reaching out to these kiddos...I know you are making a difference in each kid's life! And I was SO shocked to read that you wanted to live in Manhatten! :)

Michelle said...

HEY!!!! I'm so sorry it has taken me this long to visit your blog :( Well, I'm here now and that is what matters...I didn't even know you had been blogging for so long. I too can't believe you are traveling through a huge city by yourself, you crazy girl!! And why are you not posting photos of all of this excitement...maybe you are not allowed to take a camera to camp with you, I was just curious. You sound really positive about everything and I bet you are excited about getting to visit with your parents. All is the same around here....Mr. Ron Stewart passed away in a car accident, I wasn't sure if you knew him so I thought I would mention it just in case. Ken went and had a long visit with Wesley over in Texas and he is doing really well. We are all going to the camp this weekend, can't wait, check my blog for photos....I'm thinking of making a cardboard cut out of you and taking it with us, then I can go jet skiing with you and push your cut out down the slip 'n slide, HA! Thought I would make you laugh. Okay, well we miss you...I walk into class every Sunday expecting to see your smile but no, I do however see Jessica's which is just as nice, but you know, two is better than one :) K, I suppose I could have written you a letter, my goodness this was a long comment. TA TA!