Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another summer day has come and gone away...

I am almost home! Not sure how it happened...I seriously feel like I have been here for years. I'm not sure how I feel about coming home. I am more than ready to be home and with my friends and family but there's something nice about this place. I think i'm going to miss taking care of people. This whole summer has been about kids and their needs 24/7 and I haven't cared about what I want- which has been a very humbling experience. I guess I can't imagine going home and just sitting around doing nothing while not making some sort of impact. I guess I just learned that I am a do-er....but no worries, I will be soaking up every ounce of attention and pampering I can get when I do arrive home :) I guess the solution would be to go home and do something for others there. I really can't wait to tell everyone all my stories and share pictures. There is so much I want to do. I'm afraid I'm going to spend way too much money when I get back!

-Here are some things I have learned about myself in the 9 weeks of being away-

I can make friends anywhere. I had a major fear of not making friends when I got here but the exact opposite happened. I met people who I am sure I will keep in touch with for a long time and I am glad to know that if I ever go outside of my comfort zoneI will be just fine.

When people work together for a specific purpose, the differences among them seem to melt away. Here at camp we all cared about the needs of the kids and we were willing to do whatever it took to meet those needs. That was our sole purpose and when we set our eyes on that, it didn't matter if you were black or white, liberal or conservative, tall or short, Christian or Jew, gay or straigt, outgoing or shy. I was blown away by no matter how much people could argue about politics and religion, and there were lots, when it came to working with the kids it just didn't matter. Everyone wanted to make a difference in a child's life and we were all able to look past our differences...even the most drastic ones. I haven't really been exposed to "different" people, I actually tended to shy away. But this summer I had to work with them no matter what I agreed and disagreed on them about...and I am glad that I was able to look past differences and finally realize that behind each identity is a human. We were all created in the same way, everyone just takes on their own unique identity. But I can't forget that behind it all we're all pretty much the same. I guess I learned to be more open and accepting of others and know that I can be right next to people who believe the polar opposite from me and not be changed by them- we can simply work together and let our differences form a great strength.

I don't have a lot of fears. Can be bad, can be good. This would take up WAY too much space, so just ask me. Yesterday though, I lessened a fear of heights by tackling a high ropes course, and I stepped right by a big snake yesterday and didn't freak too bad. And my greatest accomplishment: going to NYC on a day off all by myself and loving every second of it!

I need to go to bed, just wanted to say hi :) I miss everyone more than words can say and I am so so so so so so so so so excited to see everyone again!!!!!
here's one of my sweet campers, Ellie :)

No comments: