Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The countdown begins!


10 more days left of camp! I am pretty excited, but a little sad at the same time. I love New York and the kids (for the most part) but I am SO ready to see my family and friends. My bunk has been pretty much hilarious here recently. I have nailed sign language, or at least I know the alphabet which is how one of my girls communicates. Yesterday was by far the most interesting to date, so I will share it with you...enjoy :)
I was LOD the previous night so I had to watch the girls until midnight and sleep lightly in case anyone got up or made noises in the night. I was getting ready to take a shower at 7:40, which is against the rules if you are LOD, and I got in my towel to walk out of the bathroom when one camper walks up to me. She was halfway in the bathroom and half in the bunk and let me point out that she was 1 ft away from the stall, so what does she do? PEES right there on the floor. Talk about an exciting way to start the day. I have to shower her and clean up the mess, luckily with help from another counselor who woke up. We woke all the girls up and find that two more had to be showered because they wet the bed. When a kid has an accident the counselor has to clean their clothes in the sink and hang them up to dry...so we were doing a lot of laundry. Later in the day I am walking with my bunk and our sister bunk and one of the girls motions to hold my hand so I accept. Next thing I know she has my thumb bone in her mouth-she bit me extremely hard...it's little sore type right now. I have to get it checked out by a nurse because it's a health precaution when a kid bites you. The girl was picked up by her parents that day because that was her 10th bite in like 2 days. Then we had lunch and the girl who had an accident had another one in the dining hall-so back in the shower we went. After lunch we had adventure and we fairly deep in the woods when yet again, she had another one. I had to maneuver my way out of the woods alone with a camper who is nonverbal. We then had pool swim and one of my campers had an accident in her bathing suit and it wasn't pee. She somehow managed to get it on her as well. We got her showered and after that she had to go to the restroom. She comes out of the shower and wipes her hiney on a towel and made a rather large mess. She had 2 showers in 10 minutes. AHHHHH...these girls are older girls so it's kind of sad there are so many accidents. They are super sweet though and I am basically immune to any sort of accident. I wish I could bring them home and let them meet yall. One calls me Auntie Amanda and one calls me, which makes us all laugh, A Momma. They are cuties :)
I haven't posted any pictures of the campers but I do have one...my favorite! Gilisa was a stubborn 6 year old with downs syndrome. Her vocabulary consisted of mostly: stop it, no, and f-you. Honestly. She spoke her own language. We clicked though for some reason and she completely melted my heart! I have lots of pictures of her but this is a picture that is already on the computer:

There she is...such a happy smile. She lost that tooth one night while she was here.

Have a great day and have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD :) love you!!!

I miss everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fred
Love you and miss you too! Thanks so much for the birthday greeting. The older you get though, the more likely it is to happen but I'll try not to have any "accidents" until you return home:) Just kidding. Sounds like you had a pretty rough day. So proud of you. Thanks for sharing your love and compassion with all your campers who so desparetely need it. Love,Dad

Anonymous said...

WOW...sounds like you a pretty interesting day! Can't wait to see ya in a few days...we have a whole summer to catch up on in just a week b/c I have to go back to school. :( Have fun your last week in NY! Much love!