Friday, April 25, 2008

Joba here, Joba there?


This has got to be one of the biggest questions to date: Does Joba need to be a starter or reliever? I've tried to put off thinking about, but after last night I thought I would try to form my own opinion. BOTTOM LINE- the guy can pitch, we all know that. I'm just not sure what position. I have fancied the idea of him handing off the ball to Mariano and then slowly sliding into a full-time closer position. The only thing that makes me unsure is the fact that he is hittable. That late in a game you need to bring in a guy who gets the job done, 3 up-3 down. I think with some work he can become a no-hitter pitcher, give and take some growing pains along the way. Then there's the idea of him being a starter. I would also like to see him on the mound first thing, but I'm just not too sure. Joba isn't afraid to show some emotions when he pitches, my only fear is that he could get too worked up pitching for a long stretch and then become WAY too hittable. So there's my dilemma, where would I like to see him?

- He has raw talent that should be used, but I personally don't think for 7-innings at a time. Last season I discussed with my mom where he should be and we both agreed on him being in the bullpen. So that is what I think should happen. Mo won't be around forever, can't even begin to imagine that right now! I think it would be wonderful to have Joba eventually take over that position. Doesn't mean I don't think we should test the waters with him starting, and if he is successful there then by all means he should start. He's young, so there really isn't anyway to determine where he will be successful down the road. For now, I think the combination of Joba and Mariano is one to be very afraid of if I were a hitter. Oh, and I think we would all miss the celebratory fist pump from him, because seriously, there won't be any fist pumping when he leaves the 6th or 7th inning. So I stand in favor of Joba and the late inning fist pump :) (Don't kill me for thinking that!) If you totally disagree with me or whatever, feel free to let me know. I won't mind! Basically, I just think Joba is a fun guy (hence the pink backpack at a Royals game I was at last September) who deserves to pitch. Guess we'll let Joe G. and the others make the final call!



Thank goodness it's Friday, too bad I have a ton of studying to do. It's a Louisiana Tech Baseball weekend against Hawaii here in Ruston, might try to make it to a game hopefully. I will also be watching some Yankee baseball too. Then I'm going to the lake all day on Sunday. So maybe the studying part isn't looking too good....! Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend and gets outside because the weather is wonderful, take care.

No comments: