Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 3....

I am sitting alone in our computer lab here and it is amazing. I don't know what it's like to be alone, and I must say I miss it. Today the kids true colors started shining. They are still very sweet girls, just a little anger issues. My group went on a 2-hour hike in the woods, which are hilly, and I literally had to drag a girl through. She pretended to faint twice and sprawled out on the ground throwing fits. I am having to be VERY inventive and patient with trying to help calm the girls. We (all the other counselors) are trying to figure out what causes our group to explode and how we can avoid the mass explosions. There were so many tears today and most of the kids are homesick. I had a really funny experience today though so I will share: I took a boy to arts and crafts for one of his choice periods and he was furious because he thought he chose fishing. Apparently art and crafts are no where near as fun as fishing because he was crying so hard I thought he was going to pass out from lack of air. Finally he calmed down and I convinced him to make a really cool batman mask and he told me how he loves art. He kept saying this over and over to convince him of his decision of going to arts and crafts: "You think you make the wrong decision, but they can turn out to be the right decision sometimes." He is 7, and oh, so smart.

So I am not trying to emphasize the negatives constantly, but it's nice to get it out. Once the kids go to bed nobody talks about the day and I don't have phone service so I can't tell my parents or friends. If I did have service, there is no where to talk because everyone sleeps with their windows open and I talk too loud....so I just like getting it in the open here. Don't be confused though, I am having a blast. Really! My girls are precious and it's nice having something that challenges me. I know that this is shaping me to be a better person and I am willing to take some hard times for it. All the frustration melts when you look at our 13 precious kids, they are so funny and soooooo cute. I wish you could see their faces, you would love them to. Also, I can't complain with being in an absolutely beautiful place and working with some great people!

Sorry about the rambling...tomorrow I will hopefully have lots of fun stories to tell! I miss everyone :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have your hands full...I'm sure in the end it will be an extremely rewarding experience...Much love!

Kala said...

See I told you Amanda you are perfect for this because even with the negative you are still enjoying it! To be honest I would have just started cryin with the little boy! I could never have thought of a batman mask!

Anonymous said...

ok so I just realized that I pretty much wrote the same comment on two different posts...wow! I'm putting something in the mail for you on Monday...It will be coming to your P.O. box so keep an eye out for it! Miss ya friend!!

Lizz said...

Hello sister! :]
glad you're having a good time!
it's the perfect place for you.
i'm sure the kids adore you.
well we all miss you here,
yeah...
even me.
haha.
sillyness.
well have loads of fun.
i leave for vegas ToMoRrOw.
ahhh.
alrightie,
much love muh sista

Anonymous said...

Amanda! I'm so proud of you! You are doing great and all the right things. You're learning your kids, staying positive before them, and most of all sharing the love and acceptance you have so much of and they need so desperately. You will never know how you've influenced him to look at things differently. If he throws fits over his mistakes in art, show him how it makes it unique or that art mistakes can me changed or covered over. You're in my prayers!
Isaiah 41:10