Tuesday, June 24, 2008

This is hard work...

The kids got here yesterday and I have entered a state of exhaustion that I have never experienced before. I didn't realize how difficult it could be. I have two girls in my bunk that are autistic and one is nonverbal. It makes for some pretty interesting times to say the least. I have a line behind me but I will tell more later. Have a great day, miss everyone :)

Update 9:30 pm....I am finally off! Whew. Today wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. It's going to take some time to get used to each child and figure out their individual triggers. There are so many different types of girls in my bunk from ADHD to anger issues. They are absolutely precious though and man do they make me laugh! We wake up at 8am and then head to breakfast. All 500 of us here at camp eat in the dining hall and there are 4 counselors and 4 campers to a table. I feel sorry for every mom because I am experiencing meals with kids...meal time is definitely not an easy task. We have a VERY structured day because it helps the kids here thrive. Luckily, that tight structure makes the day go by pretty fast. This morning, all 6 girls were awake at 7am...can't say we were thrilled about that. We did several fun activities and then shut it all down at 8:30. Every night the kids get milk and cookies while we discuss our highs and lows for the day, then we put them to bed and read stories until they are all asleep. They are angels at this time of night, and I love this time because it reminds me that no matter what hindrances they may have or what anger they can cause, they are all sweet, innocent, beautiful little girls.
I am also working with a bunk of 7 CRAZY boys. Yesterday, one boy asked me how much longer until dinner and I told him a little over an hour. He asked me persistently how much longer we had. While we were walking to play basketball, I told him we had 30 minutes left and let me in on a little life secret he had, "You know what I know? I know that every second counts" Wow. He's the cutest and most brilliant little boy ever. He also was digging and dirt and kept saying how it's all connected. Keep in mind he's only 7.
Last night it took us 2 hours to get our kids showered and put in bed, tonight only 30 minutes! Best accomplishment in my life! The earlier the kids are in bed, earlier we are "off" and the On-Duty Counselor takes over and watches our bunk.

There is SO much more that I could talk about, really, but that would take hours of typing. I definitely don't have that much time! Aunt Stephanie, I would assume that when you read this you will be settling into some sort of home in Hawaii. Enjoy every second of the couple of months you're there!

Bye :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Talk about a learning experience...Hang in there amanda!!

Mom & Dad said...

We miss you and love you! Hopefully we can see you one day next week. Hopefully this will get easier!

Anonymous said...

YAY...an update!! Sounds like you have your hands full! Hang in there...hopefully it will get easier!! Miss ya tons...I'm gonna try and get something in the mail for ya this week...Have a fabulous weekend!!

Kala said...

Amanda!! Sounds like a pretty straining job! I have faith in you though! You work so well with all different types of kids and I know they will all love you in return!! Although it's tuff you are going to have so much fun this summer!