Thursday, June 19, 2008

Finally an update!!!!

It has been WONDERFUL to be away from technology for a week. I do miss it a little though. This week has been amazing and the camp is beautiful! So I flew up here on Sunday and landed at LGA and from the sky I saw the Empire State Building- that is where I got very giddy. We had to take like a 3 hour bus ride to the camp so I saw all of NYC and Yankee Stadium...SO cool. I want to visit NYC so badly. We have been going through some pretty intense training this whole week and I am very anxious for this kiddos to get here. I learned about my counselors today and it should be a difficult but rewarding 2 weeks. Last night we had time off so we went into Kingston...it's surrounded by mountains so that was nice. Then we went into Rhinebeck and it it seriously the cutest town ever. My bunk is pretty nice here, no air conditioning and we sleep with the windows open so it's comfortable. I haven't put on makeup (except for last night) nor have I done anything but wash my hair and put it in a pony tail so that has been awesome. Today we did the low ropes course and tomorrow we take our swim test and do the high ropes. The food is decent, today for lunch we had hummus sandwiches, nutri-grain bars, and Klondike bars. Not too bad at all. Tonight we go camping and make smores...the cool things is that we sleep outside. I've been camping plenty of times but never slept outside of the tent so it should be a neat experience. Sorry this is so random, but my mind is jumping every possible way right now. Also want to apologize about not getting to talk to anyone, I have ZERO reception out here. But I personally like not talking on the phone for some weird reason. I will try and get some pictures up...but don't count on it too soon. If you want to see it better go to ramapoforchildren.org
I have met lots of cool people. Let me tell you, it's a different world up as far as political and religious beliefs go. Basically, if you say you like George W. you better take shelter. It's not really that bad...and I love hearing about what people believe in and think about certain topics. I am the only Louisiana person, I believe, and have gotten many compliments on my accent so that's great. Mostly everyone is from the midwest and east coast area.

I miss everyone and am having a great time! Hope everyone is having a great summer so far :)

1 comment:

Lizz said...

awe! well im glad you're having a good time! sounds like fun!!