Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's really here.

At the end of January/beginning of February I was determined I would have big plans for summer 08. I had originally been trying to do some work with a St. Jude/ALSAC office in Dallas but it wasn't really going anywhere. I was pretty much set that I would be spending the summer in Haughton. Who knew a simple walk in Woodard Hall would change that all. I was needing to talk to my psychology teacher and saw a very plainly decorated flyer that had these two questions: Want to have a memorable summer, Want to make a difference? Of course my answer was yes to both of those, but it didn't leave a lasting impact on me. Later, way later, that night I started thinking about the displayed camp and google searched the place for hours. Brilliant me forgot to look at the name. Somehow, I randomly found it and fell in love with it immediately. Definitely not anything I would ever be interested in, but for some reason it touched my heart so I applied. At around 1:30 am I hit submit and received a phone call the next day to set up an interview time. I was pretty reluctant about telling my family, but they were amazingly okay with it, kind of. Next thing I know I was booking a flight to NYC. Crazy as it gets. If you don't know, this camp deals with kids who have special needs ranging from Autism, behavioral issues, to learning disabilites. They are all city kids who get the opportunity to let loose on this 200-something acre campsite.


I don't know a soul going. I don't even know what I will really be doing. But for some reason, perhaps in my crazy mind, it seems like a pretty rewarding adventure. I can't tell you exactly why I am going, but I do know I want to help the kids and show them acceptance, love, and friendship. When I interviewed I was asked why I want to work with this particular population of children and I told him that I know I have a lot of love that I am willing to share. Especially to kids who we often call "different". I hope to show something special to them, something they don't fully understand, a love that I too can hardly understand. I want them to know me and I too want to know them. I want to be a part of creating the most memorable summer in a child's life. Bottom line- I want the love that comes from above to pour out of me and flow all over these sweet little kiddos :) Hopefully I succeed.


I cannot even fathom that I am done with LA for two months. Where did time go? I, well mom, just finished packing about 90 lbs. of luggage that I get to tote by myself. As nervous as I am about the unexpected, I am thoroughly excited. I get to spend a summer in NY, it doesn't get much better than that. And I will have a ton of storied to tell I'm sure. Hope you all are ready to listen when I get home! Well, tomorrow we leave bright and early, 6 am, to go to Galveston for the day and then we will spend the rest of the time in Houston. I love Houston, particularly around Rice University. Saturday night we will be going to a Yankees/Astros game and we get to watch Mike Mussina pitch. I will be wearing my Pettitte shirt with pride and brushing off any boos I may get from Astros fans. I wish I could watch all three games because Joba is pitchin Friday and CMW is pitching Sunday...Mussina will be fun to watch though. I should probably consider getting some sleep... I will try and update this as often as I can. To my wonderful family and friends who graciously read this, I am going to miss yall more than you can imagine :)

Somebody didn't want me to leave. Sweet dog!

Thoughtful Jess brought me these wonderful things. I love the photo album and the Louisiana Hot Sauce the best! Thank you TONS!

There it is, 90 lbs. And the dog who wants to come with me.
Have a great Friday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can already tell Diablo misses you...I would ask him "Where's Amanda?" and he would look around the house and at the door...poor puppy!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't get a chance to participate in the basket-putting together thing....but i did give jessica some ideas. It's the thought that counts right? Anyways we will miss you...i'll write! Have fun at the baseball game!!